Instagram is a photo sharing app with location sharing. However, it’s got a twist. It allows users to apply filters to their images, tag and geo-locate them before sharing them on the Instagram network and other social networks (eg Facebook, Twitter, Posterous, Flickr, Tumblr, and Foursquare) where their friends can like, comment and share the Instagrams. Cool.
What’s a filter?
As they say, a picture paints a thousand words…
|Earlybird Filter||Kelvin Filter|
Why should I use it?
- Instagram is the largest mobile-only social network which, given that it’s only currently available on the iPhone, is pretty impressive and it’s the fastest growing.
- It ticks the boxes for amateur photographers who like to get creative with their photos and share them.
- Its number of users is growing, it’s gaining traction and it’s another free way for you to reach more customers.
If you’re not convinced, here’s an interesting infographic showing Instagram’s rise to fame.
How do I use it?
Think of it as another fan page, but in a different medium. The idea is to encourage your friends and followers to share and comment on the Instagram photos which you publish. So, the next time you have a beach clean up, take photos, apply a creative filter and publish. Be selective though. Don’t upload loads of photos at the same time or ones which are similar. Learn how to get the best from Instagram before you go public.
- It has a large user base
- It’s easy to use
- It’s creative
- It’s another way to engage with your fans
- It has built-in social sharing functions (ie post to Facebook, Twitter etc) to expand your reach
- The main gripe from the blogosphere has been the lack of web interface for Instagram but, as of last week, that issue may well be consigned to the history books with the launch of Photogram
- Big brands are embracing Instagram and even Obama is hanging his hat on it!
- Once an Android app is available, its reach will escalate
- It’s easy to get going, it’s fun to use and it’s not particularly time consuming
- Instagram Now Integrates Even Deeper With Facebook [Instagram] (gizmodo.com)
- Why I love Instagram (webinknow.com)